Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My New Car

It was my observation that many people seem to buy a car in Auckland and sell it in Christchurch. Being a Jew I decided to buy a car in Christchurch and try and make some money when I sell it in a couple of months.
NZ is not a country where much haggling is done. I had to walk away from a few cars that I liked simply because the owner would not haggle with me and that is half the fun of buying a car. After working at a car dealer for a year and a half I consider myself decent at haggling and was intent on getting a deal.
After spending 3 days doing a circuit of the notice boards in all of the hostels in the city I found a car that I liked and an owner that was willing to haggle. The inspection process here in NZ is extremely strict and only lasts for 6 months. Therefore I needed a car that would not need a new inspection while I had it because I have no desire to throw money at the car. Luckily this one fit the bill. I managed to get it for considerably less than the advertised price. The car isn't perfect but it has heaps of space, runs fine, and as you can see it came with tons of gear. There are 3 of us in the car right now and it is completely full up with stuff. It is actually too much stuff and I plan on parting out some of the camping gear as I get close to the end of the trip.
For some reason the previous owner (a Dutch guy hence the Holland sticker, Walter!) removed the the bottom cushion in the back seat. So on my first day with the car Renata (my American halfway house buddy) and I went to the junkyard to find a new seat.




With some help from Renata and the city of Christchurch we decided to name it Magoo. The starting odometer was 302756 km, lets hope there is a bunch more when I write the end distance and that it comes on my terms instead of the car's.







No comments: