Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Packing


Never in my life have I had to pack so little for such a long time. College was easy. You took the car, opened the windows and shoved stuff in until it was up to the windows. Then you closed them and loaded everything else in through the Driver's door. I recall driving back one time that there was so much crap in the car that it would fall all over every time I turned right.
This time I have 2 packs, a big one and a little one. Sunday afternoon I looked at my big pack lying on the floor empty and was amazed at how much space it had. Then I started to put stuff in it. Lets just say that it is bursting at the seams and I think that I packed light. Luckily I have my devoted parents who will gladly drag everything that I decide I don't need back from the cruise.
Speaking of, here is a basic itinerary for now: We are flying to Sydney today and will get there on Thursday. Friday we hop aboard our cruise ship for a ten day tour of New Zealand. On the 23rd I will be in Auckland where I will say goodbye to my parents (and some stuff.) From there I have not a clue what will happen, but I have a hunch that there will be many packages of Arnott's Mint Slices.
Riding my bike today to accomplish a few last errands I had a bit of an accident with my shoe. Basically my foot slipped off the pedal and managed to wedge itself in my front spokes. Since the wheel was turning the inevitable quickly happened and I soon found myself airborne and soon afterwards laying on 8th Avenue outside Madison Square Garden with a Bike firmly stuck on my foot. Lets just say that if I didn't have a helmet on I would be probably be in a hospital right now, I got a pretty solid whack to the head. Also, thank you to my parents for giving me incredibly strong toe bone density. It was my big toe that jammed the wheel that caused the bike to flip, I figured it would have snapped off but it is fine (so far.) The bike on the otherhand has a gruesomely bent front spoke and I think the frame bent as well. I want to thank the good samaritan biker who helped me free my foot and for his classic quote: "Dude are you ok? That was wicked! You went like 5 feet in the air!"
I ripped my favorite jacket too sliding across the pavement, but hey, at least my pack is now lighter.

6 comments:

Conrad said...

The same thing happened to me in the Marshal Islands, except my foot got caught in the spokes of someone else's bike and he went flying. I had a nasty gash in my foot though.

Anonymous said...

I'm truly proud Jeff, a blog of your own. Now you are as cool as me and I get to check your blog all the time instead of you checking mine. A question though, "Jerf, George, and a Kiwi"? Okay I think I get the George part, but "Jerf" an "a Kiwi"? Sucks about the foot though at least you won't be needing the bike for quite some time. Cheers!

Jmonheit said...

Jerf is my name from college. If you combine Jeff with Jerk it is what you get. Maybe i'll update it some more then some people....

Unknown said...

Yay travelogue!

Impressive flight. Hope that was the roughest part of the trip

Anonymous said...

thats happend to me before!

sam said...

jeff you must feel accomplished just like how you felt when you got the guy to come fix the genie