Monday, November 24, 2008

Finally on Land

During the whole cruise I had this nagging feeling about what would happen once I got off the boat. I was right and I was hungry. It is quite a shock to the system to go from having everything you need inside one vehicle to having to deal with worldly concerns such as a bed and dinner. The advantage of having a currency where prices are roughly similar to the US but an exchange rate of 1.8 USD to 1 NZD and climbing means that Carey and I price everything out as if we were back in the states. Therefore we have lived like giant cheapskates so far. As you may know we have a great deal on our place in the city but even so it is still cheaper for us to be away on vacation.
Now that I have spent a couple of days in Auckland it seems like just another city. It may be that it has rained since we arrived but it just seems boring. All my time has been spent in the CBD, my mind might change after I see more but just comparing it to other places around the world there is nothing about this area that is uniquely New Zealand. I am happy that Carey chose Wellington, that city just felt so much more liveable.
I had planned Auckland as a respite after the cruise since I got basically no sleep on it and that is what it has been. It is a bed, dinner, and an internet café.
I feel like I emailed most of New Zealand today in my job search. My plan right now is to spend December, January, and some of February working then do my crazy motorcycle adventure after the peak season dies down. The more time I spend here the more apprehensive I get about being entertained for the entire 6 months. If I find myself on a plane to Australia at the beginning of April I won’t be surprised. On that note, if anybody wants to attempt to drive to Cape York with me in April or early May please get in touch. Do yourself a favor and look up what is involved before you seriously consider it.
I will be in Auckland for a couple more days then down with Carey to Wellington to hopefully find some Americans to celebrate Thanksgiving with.

3 comments:

Dazey311 said...

i wouldn't be surprised either. NZ is beautiful and all...but Aussie is way more entertaining! too bad it's not winter. i'd say go be a ski bum in queenstown.

Unknown said...

Sounds like Cape York would be a hell of an expirience but you're leaving about a month too soon for it to be reasonably doable, unless the rainy season ends early this year.

Here's a guide on it from 2001 that I just read. I wonder how much has changed in nearly 10 years
http://www.openroad.com.au/travel_4wd_capeyork.asp

Jmonheit said...

Why don't you pop over for a couple of weeks in April and do it with me?