Sunday, December 7, 2008

My First Time

After driving around the North Island for two weeks and meeting a whole host of kiwis it was bound to happen. I didn't make any plans to do it when I was thinking of coming down here but I knew that there is a ton of it here so there was a possibility. I was a little nervous at first since I wasn't quite sure how it worked but I turned out to be pretty good. I don't regret doing it and I am actually looking forward to doing it again.
I guess it is appropriate that my introduction to the confusing game of Cricket didn't involve 5 days of standing around wearing white but a hybrid (drinking) version of the game. The rules were incredibly complex but mostly revolved around cans of beer strewn about the field. I did manage to bowl a few wickets which was appreciated by everyone but the batter who had to hammer his beer.
This game came to be at a campsite off of Highway 1 about 3 hours north of Auckland in the Northern Part of the country. The night quickly devolved from there and ended with us doing donuts on the beach in a pickup truck.
I really do enjoy the special kind of stupidity that Kiwis have. It is that "Hey Ya'll watch this" part of the Southern US states that we all love without the confederate flag parts that make us uncomfortable.
I joined my new kiwi friends for some snorkeling this afternoon. Of course what seemed like a good idea to them ended with us getting smashed against the rocks as we tried to climb out of the water at the end. My legs look like I was attached by a rabid house cat.
Walter and I decided to take a night off from the camping to stay in a Hostel and take care of some basics such as Laundry, Hot Showers, and Dishes. Tomorrow we are off again into the north for a few more days of camping. The entries will continue to be posted bunches at a time because internet is so few and far between in the backcountry.

No comments: